Friday, August 10, 2007

Curtain time with the Friday Question

ROUTE 1 readers answer this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is your favorite song from a musical?"
Rick T. -- "Tonight, Tonight" from West Side Story.
Mike M. -- Best refrain from a musical: "Life is a cabaret, old chum!"

Kerstin H. -- "Mamma Mia" from Mamma Mia or "Whatever Lola Wants (Lola Gets)" from Damn Yankees.
Eileen M. -- "Do You Hear the People Sing?" from Les Misérables. It's a powerful melodic composition, although I've often thought that it runs repeatedly through my head because of the strength of the lyrics. Perhaps it's just the best of both worlds.
Laura C. -- "Somewhere," from West Side Story. I walked down the aisle to Tom Waits' version.
Scout S. -- "What's the Buzz (Tell Me What's a Happenin')" from Jesus Christ Superstar.
Mike D. -- It's hard to think of anything beyond "High School Musical" because my kids have been watching it nonstop since I recorded it for them three weeks ago. But if I refresh my brain, I'd probably nominate something from The Sound of Music. "Edelweiss" is a simple, catchy and easy-to-sing tune. I used to sing it to my sons when they were babies. However, I didn't have the guitar accompaniment that Christopher Plummer had. A more upbeat selection, from the Grease soundtrack, would be "Summer Nights" by John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. It makes a great karaoke duet.
Rob K. -- "Memory" from Cats. At 55, I'm trying to hold onto mine.
Erik H. -- Cole Porter's "Anything Goes," from the 1934 musical of the same name, sounds as pertinent today as it must have sounded then: "Good authors, too, who once knew better words, Now only use four-letter words, writing prose -- anything goes!" Porter was so great at matching catchy music with clever lyrics -- his tunes rarely age.
"The world has gone mad today and good's bad today and black's white today and day's night today."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home