Monday, August 06, 2007

"At night in the country, you'd be surprised how that music carries"

"At night in the country, you'd be surprised how that music carries," MUDDY WATERS once said. "You could hear my guitar way before you get to the house, and you could hear the peoples hollerin' and screamin.'"
I listened to Waters and some other blues legends on a stress-relieving walk after work tonight.
The air was so saturated I thought I could cut it with my pocket knife.
The electric blues seemed perfectly fitting -- steamy music for a steamy late afternoon.
It also reminded me of another quote by Waters, about the steamy nights he used to play before he hit the Chicago clubs and began to make records:
"Everybody used to fry up fish and have one hell of a time," he said. "Find me playing 'til sunrise for 50 cents and a sandwich. And be glad of it. They really liked the low-down blues."
Today was a great day for those "low-down blues."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home