Sunday, July 29, 2007

Come Sunday

I will be heading to work in a few hours. It is a rather rare Sunday of work and I am scheduled to cover the annual demolition derby at the Dubuque County Fair.
How will I cover this event? What angle will I take? I initially toyed with the idea of pretending I did not know it was staged:
"A series of unexplained auto accidents Sunday caused an uproar among a large crowd gathered at the Dubuque County Fairgrounds."
Nah.
I really don't know how I am going to approach this assignment.
However, I am not going to worry about covering the derby just yet. Instead, I am listening to DUKE ELLINGTON.
Specifically, I am listening to the 1965 rendition of "Come Sunday" -- a piece from "Black, Brown and Beige" -- that appeared on "Duke Ellington's Concert of Sacred Music."
Vocalist Esther Marrow, a young gospel singer from Detroit, sings with powerful conviction -- recreating a role filled by Mahalia Jackson on a 1958 recording of "Black, Brown and Beige."
This music is beautiful and stately -- perhaps this opposition to the demolition derby is what attracted me to this song in the first place this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home