Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Porque lo siento, porque tu me elevas como hoja al viento"

Have you ever gotten a song stuck in your head and you have no idea what the singer is going on about?
Last night, as I headed home after a flood-related, busy day at work, I popped into the car stereo the "Billboard 2001 Latin Music Awards" compilation CD.
I was hoping to find some Chicano hip hop, but the first five or six tracks were all ballads.
My head hurt from writing, so I had no patience for Spanish-language ballads. I kept advancing the CD after hearing the first few bars of each song. Then it hit me.
It was quite possibly the catchiest song I have heard in weeks.
PAULINA RUBIO -- "La Chica Dorada" -- was singing "LO HARE POR TI" and I was transfixed (this was *BEFORE* I had her photo in front of me, I will have you know).
The song blends pop and dance sensibilities and features a big hook in the chorus:
"Lo hare por ti, porgue lo siento, porque tu me elevas como hoja al viento y cuando me besas siento que disparas en medio de mi alma!"

I was attempting to sing along (in horrible "Spanglish") and I even drove the "long way" home so I could hear the song a second time.
I still have no idea what she is singing about, but I really don't care.
The song is still stuck in my head, about 12 hours later.
Rubio is arguably Mexico's most popular singing export these days, and she has made major advances on Billboard's pop charts -- not just the Latin charts.
It is a shame I have to skip all these other tracks on the CD, but I guess that's a small price to pay for a memorable song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home