Saturday, August 04, 2007

"Oh I get it, Alan's called Vim and your mum's dead"

The girls and I have a busy Saturday -- they will be volunteering at the humane society this morning. I have been enjoying some vintage "Bad News" clips on YouTube in a bid to wake myself up by laughing.
A year before "This is Spinal Tap," Britain's "The Comic Strip Presents..." unleashed their own spoof heavy metal band on an unsuspecting populace.
"We'd be as rich as the Stones if we sold as many records as them," said Vim Fuego... or Alan Metcalfe to his bandmates who consistently forget his stage name.
Originally aired on Channel 4, the "Bad News" mockumentary starred Adrian Edmondson (Vim), Rik Mayall (Colin) and Nigel Planer (Den) -- three comics out of "The Young Ones" -- and Peter Richardson (Spider). Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders also appear.
Vim is the leader and self-styled genius of the band:
"I could play 'Stairway to Heaven' when I was 12. Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was 22. I think that says quite a lot."
You can learn more about Bad News from the (apparently under construction) fan site, located here.
Or log onto YouTube and search for "Bad News Comic Strip."
Then, try to imagine a double-bill gig with Bad News and Spinal Tap. Heavy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home