Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Hip hop an' ya don't stop on "my Friday"

The temperatures are rising and my work week is coming to an unusually early end -- after today, I am off for four days. Weee!
Oh yeah, and if my 12-year-old daughter plays "Fergalicious" by FERGIE just ONE MORE TIME, I believe I will have to plug both my ears with cement.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind hearing "Fergalicious" the first 99 times Kerstin played the song. However, by the 199th time I heard "Fergalicious definition make them boys go loco; They want my treasure so they get their pleasures from my photo," I was ready for something different.
We have all been listening to a lot of hip hop as the hot weather returns this week (it is already 69 degrees at 7 a.m. and temperatures are supposed to climb as high as 91 this afternoon). I have been playing the heck out of "No Hay Manera" by AKWID (pictured above).
This song is the type of genre-bending hip hop that I adore (along with the jazz-flavored concoctions of acts such as A Tribe Called Quest and the indie-influenced jams by the Pharcyde).
Francisco and Sergio Gomez were born in Mexico but raised in south central Los Angeles, where the brothers began mixing hip hop with the norteƱo, corrido and ranchero music of Chicano tradition.
"No Hay Manera" is infectiously catchy. I find myself singing along, even though I have little idea what the Gomez brothers are rapping about.
Still, I think rapping along in my silly fractured Spanglish is infinitely better than singing along to Fergie:
"I'm Fergalicious (so delicious) my body stay vicious; I be up in the gym just working on my fitness."
No offense meant, Fergie, but you might want to grab a dictionary and tone up your grammar and vocabulary, too.
True dat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home