Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Call my cellphone -- I'll let it ring and ring and ring

Sometimes I have to fight the urge.
My cellphone will ring and I just want to sit there and listen to the ringtone.
That's because I chose the HORACE SILVER tune "SONG FOR MY FATHER" as my ringtone.
It's one of the great compositions of Silver, taking its place alongside "The Preacher" and "Doodlin'" as the most cherished works of one of America's best composers.
"Song For My Father" also features one of the most memorable openings in jazz, which is one of the reasons why I chose it for my ringtone.
Silver opens the tune with a distinctive piano figure -- distinctive enough that Steely Dan lifted it wholesale to form the basis of "Rikki Don't Lose That Number." If you are familiar with that 1970s FM staple, you will recognize the piano playing immediately.
After the piano opens the piece, trumpeter Carmell Jones and saxophonist Joe Henderson blow the theme -- it marks an exciting moment of fanfare.
I usually pick up the phone once I hear the horns blow.
Sometimes, though, I just want to let the phone ring and ring and ring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home