Friday, November 11, 2005

Sticks and stones may break my bones...

... but these are some of the songs Route 1 readers think will really hurt you.
This week's FRIDAY QUESTION asked for the best "put-down" songs:
Mike D. -- I might risk damage to my rock 'n' roll reputation, but I think I will forego Motley Crue's "Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)" for Travis Tritt's "Here's a Quarter (Call Someone Who Cares)" as the ultimate slap-in-the-face song. Ye-o-ouch!
Scout S. -- Spoon's "The Agony of Lafitte"/"Lafitte Don't Fail Me Now" (Saddle Creek, 1999). Spoon got signed to Elektra by an A & R guy named Ron Lafitte who promised them the moon and the stars. Then, not long after they signed, he left the label for a better job elsewhere, and the people at Elektra just left Spoon dangling in the wind. No promotion, no tour support, nothing. After their albums flopped, they left the label. Then they put out two seething songs about what a lying scumbag Lafitte was.
Sample lyric: "It's like I knew two of you, man -- the one before and after we shook hands. Taking the calls but in all forgetting what's been said... so when you do that line tonight, remember that it came at a steep price."
Diane H. -- Even though I'm pretty ambivalent about the song itself, I think "You're so Vain" by Carly Simon has to be about the best "screw you" song ever.
Rick T. -- "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden" by Lynn Anderson. A great, classic song!
Erik H. -- I was scrolling through the iPod late last night, listening to some classic "put-down" songs and I was just about settled to name Faster Pussycat's cover of "You're so Vain" as my top song in that category, when I came upon an oldie but goodie in the f-you class of tunes.
The Rolling Stones released "Stupid Girl" in 1966 (the BEST YEAR... EVER!) and I don't think the song's combination of incessant catchiness and vitriolic outrage has ever been matched.
"The way she powders her nose, her vanity shows and it shows" and "the way she talks about someone else, that she don't even know herself" are just two of the many stinging couplets Mick Jagger aims at the unnamed woman, who is "the sickest thing in this world" by his account. Ouch.