Thursday, November 10, 2005

"The Irish Cardigans"

Shhhh!
I am going to pretend I knew about this great band called The Would Be's all along, even though I only really heard about them yesterday.
Why the subterfuge?
Because this short-lived Irish band is so good, I am going to start putting their songs on mix CDs I make, and I want people to think I was hip to this band a long time ago.
"The Would Be's? Of course I know about them."
Actually, not many people knew about The Would Be's when they were an active band -- 1990-1991. Their debut single and best-known song "I'm Hardly Ever Wrong," failed to chart in the UK but did make No. 12 in John Peel's "Festive 50" list of 1990's best songs. They produced a total of three, four-track singles before breaking up.
Hailing from Cavan, located near the Ulster border, The Would Be's were sometimes called "The Irish Cardigans," based on their similarity with the Swedish popsters.
Listening to their first EP and a Peel session, however, has convinced me that The Would Be's were actually closer to a an "Irish Blondie."
Lead singer Julie McDonnell sounds a bit like Debbie Harry -- in a good way. Aidin O'Reilly played trombone and tenor saxophone and Pascal Smith handled drumming duties for the band. The Would Be's also featured no fewer than THREE Finnegans. Paul and Mattie played guitar and Eamonn played bass.
Although they only briefly flirted with fame, the band sound like they had tons of potential, and the story might not be over yet.
The Tweenet Web site, located here, reported in 2000 that the band reunited for a Dublin gig. Perhaps "the Irish Cardigans" will reach the promised land after all?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home