Friday, November 11, 2005

"Informers inform, burglars burgle, murderers murder, lovers love"

I have written about my favorite film -- "Shichinin no Samurai (Seven Samurai)" -- several times before.
Watching it unfold during its more than three-hour duration is akin to living a different life.
I think the same can be said for my second favorite film, too, although it only clocks in at a mere 89 minutes.
I watched "A Bout de Souffle" when I got home from work tonight. The rest of the family are away, so I had the DVD player all to myself.
I suppose it is a film geek cliché to say one loves Jean-Luc Godard's 1960 Nouvelle Vague masterpiece. Since I am a music geek, however, that statement will sound fresh coming from me, oui?
Every time I watch Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg in this film I see something new, and that reminds me of listening to the greatest pieces of music.
When I first saw this film in college, of course I was amazed by the jump-cut editing and the loooooonnng single-take tracking shots which were apparently shot while the cameraman rode in a wheelchair. Those cinematic devices are now the stuff of legend. What I noticed tonight was the humor in "A Bout de Souffle," and not only the irony. There are some laugh-out-loud bits as well (I found Michel's dissertation on the ugliness of Swedish girls particularly hysterical, but that may be my Swedish heritage coming to the fore).
I also think I finally noticed fellow director (and "A Bout de Souffle" film treatment writer) Francois Truffaut's cameo. I could have sworn he was a photographer during the scene where Patricia interviews the man at Orly Airport.
Gosh, how I love this film!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home