Sunday, March 13, 2011

Waking up to "The Greatest Game of All"

The other morning, JILL got home from a night bowling with her girlfriends a mere two hours before I woke up to listen to radio coverage of a sporting event on the other side of the world.
She arrived at 1 a.m., and I got up at 3.

What sport would persuade me to keep such odd hours?

AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE.

In the event, Darius Boyd scored two tries as defending champions the ST. GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS opened their 2011 campaign with a 25-16 away win over the GOLD COAST TITANS.

I listened on ABC Grandstand online.

Since returning from SYDNEY last September -- smitten with a sport I had only casually noticed before -- I have tried to listen to as many matches as possible, either on the ABC or the other radio rights holders, Sydney commercial stations 2GB or Triple M.

Sadly, I have yet to find Australian rugby league consistently on Stateside television.

It was once on TV. When we lived in Oregon in the early 1990s, there were weekly matches on our cable television. I regularly watched as Canberra, Manly and the other clubs battled each other in what Sydneysiders call "THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL."

Finding myself in Sydney, I fell in love with WESTS TIGERS, a merged entity combining a pair of the sport's foundation clubs, the Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies.

Our hotel was in The Rocks, the traditional home territory of Balmain.

To be honest, with this weekend's arrival of "the footy" Down Under, I haven't even had the inclination to follow the "March Madness" sweeping the United States.

A sport that gets me up way before dawn *and* ignore the office NCAA pools?

Wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home