Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The "lucky" hat, finally living up to its name

It's a hat I purchased around 1988, after giving my previous SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS hat to the girl I loved, JILL.
It's a hat I have worn through thick and mostly thin -- I wore it through two losing WORLD SERIES campaigns, 1989 and 2002.

It's also a "LUCKY" hat that has finally lived up to its name.

Often, veteran Giants fans place pins with various significance in their hats.

Here are the pins in mine (from left to right):

1. "Giants Hall of Famer Willie McCovey" -- The first baseman known as "Stretch" was always my favorite player as a small child. Probably because he was left-handed, like me.

2. "I've Got a Giant Attitude" -- A pin from the era of Will Clark, the first basemen who was my favorite player during my college years.

3. "Giants Humm-Baby" -- A pin boasting the popular saying of Roger Craig, the manager who steered the team to the 1989 National League pennant.

4. "Croix de Candlestick: Veni, Vidi, Vixi" -- Candlestick Park patrons who remained throughout an extra-inning night game at the windswept park received this pin as a sign of their (foolish?) devotion to the cause.

5. "I Was There: Bonds HR" -- During the (now we suspect chemically enhanced) record-homer pursuit by Barry Bonds, fans at San Francisco home games received this pin when they were attendance during a round-tripper by the slugger.

The interlocking "SF" is faded, the inside brim is darkened with age and countless episodes of nervous sweating. It's a hat that signifies a Championship now, however, and that's all that matters to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home