Saturday, October 30, 2010

Going with the Journey flow

They headlined the first gig I ever attended, but I have always had an uneasy relationship with JOURNEY.
Sure, Steve Perry and Neal Schon's band crafted some infectious songs. The problem for me was always how much airplay Journey received. Back in the day, it seemed like they *always* on the radio. Their popularity seemed tiresome to me.

As I noted, Journey headlined my first gig. They were supported by RONNIE MONTROSE at the CONCORD PAVILION back in 1978, when I was 12.

As Journey's popularity grew, my interest diminished. I turned to alternatives from overseas, such as punk rock.

I have been slowly warming back up to Journey during the postseason run of the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS.

It's hard not to do so. Giants fans at AT&T park sing along with Perry (pictured) to the Journey song, "Lights," while Bay Area musician ASHKON created the definitive fan video (see it by clicking here) by refashioning "Don't Stop Believing."

Journey's music seems to permeate this postseason run. I am leaning to put aside my past biases and go with the flow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home