Saturday, October 16, 2010

Two likely heroes and an unlikely one

Tim Lincecum, Brian Wilson and Cody Ross.
The SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS took Game 1 of the NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES with a 4-3 victory over the PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES, thanks to two likely heroes and an unlikely one.

Lincecum (pictured) struck out eight in seven innings and out-dueled Philly ace Roy Halladay.

Wilson struck out four in 1-1/3 innings (while rattling nerves, as usual) to pick up the save.

No surprises there. Ross was the surprise.

The Giants only picked up Ross off the waiver wire late in the season so the rival Padres couldn't get the Florida outfielder. Tonight, Ross homered twice against Halladay to help spark the San Francisco offense into life.

I think of my late grandmother Marge "Mimi" Smith and my late father George Walter Hogstrom when I watch the Giants. Tonight, I think my family's pioneering Giants fans were watching from above -- at two likely heroes and an unlikely one, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home