Saturday, July 31, 2010

All Blacks crush the Wallabies in the early hours

Go ahead and call me crazy. I've heard it all before.
I woke up at 4:30 a.m. today to watch the BLEDISLOE CUP opener between AUSTRALIA and NEW ZEALAND, live on television from Etihad Stadium, Melbourne.

I'll be Down Under in less than a month, so I might as well bring myself up to speed on the sports happenings.

It just wasn't happening for the hometown Wallabies, who seemed to take two steps backwards for every forward step in the match won by the All Blacks, 49-28.

Australia's Drew Mitchell charged down a Dan Carter kick and carried the ball in for a try early in the first half, only for Carter to duplicate the feat two minutes later.

That sequence hinted at the opposing fortunes for the two players, and the two sides.

Mitchell was yellow carded in the 28th minute -- sent to the sin-bin for a shoulder charge.
Then, two minutes into the second half, referee Craig Joubert sent off Mitchell for delaying tactics.

Carter predictably starred for the All Blacks, scoring the aforementioned try, setting up another and kicking 14 points as New Zealand beat Australia for the eighth straight time -- their best run since 1936-1947.

Go ahead and call me crazy, but I am glad I woke up to the watch this match. From the anthems to the HAKA to Mils Mulianina scoring a pair of tries for the visitors, this spectacle was memorable in many ways.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home