Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A little Wodehouse for the weary juror

I wanted a little fun after completing my JURY DUTY obligations yesterday, I settled down last night with the short story "THE LOVE THAT PURIFIES," a 1929 JEEVES & WOOSTER tale by P.G. WODEHOUSE.
It's a complicated but funny tale that finds Bertie Wooster in the midst of a competition between two young fiends attempting to be good.

When he learns his Aunt Dahlia has invited his troublesome cousin Thomas into her country home, Wooster says:

"Do you realize what you've taken on? Have you an inkling of the sort of scourge you've introduced into your home? In the society of young Thomas, strong man quail. He is England's premier fiend in human shape. There is no devilry beyond his scope."

I love reading Wodehouse. His way with words is masterful and inspiring to a humble writer such as myself.

I wish I would have brought that book along to jury duty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home