Saturday, June 19, 2010

Jukebox king helps me smile today

I am stuck working on the only BEAUTIFUL DAY of the weekend (forecasters have called for heavy rain tomorrow) and the WORLD CUP results have left me feeling a bit frustrated, so I decided to brighten my day by listening to the bandleader so popular they called him "THE KING OF THE JUKEBOX."
LOUIS JORDAN scored at least four million-selling hits during the peak of his career in the late 1940s and early 1950s and after listening today, I find his pioneering music defies easy categorization.
Although Jordan is included in my "Rough Guide to the Blues" book, his music sounds much more refined than blues. It's a little too streamlined for jazz, too.
Instead, Jordan's hits such as "Caldonia" and "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie" serve as a template for early rhythm and blues while planting some of the first seeds of rock 'n' roll.
I hear Jordan songs such as "Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens" and "Boogie Woogie Blue Plate" and I can't help but smile.
Even though I am stuck inside the office on a beautiful day and ENGLAND are playing crap football.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home