Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"Hup Holland Hup" -- It's more common than you think

Growing up in Concord, Calif., I'm pretty sure I was the only kid with a FEYENOORD replica jersey, and in college I know I was the only person with a bright orange hat featuring the Dutch soccer chant "AANVALLUH!"
Thanks to family and friends in HOLLAND, mementos of DUTCH SOCCER have never been far away. These constant reminders mean I have always had a soft spot for the ORANJE -- the Dutch national soccer team.
It also didn't hurt that I visited the nation right after finishing middle school.
I watched Holland defeat Denmark, 2-0, in a televised WORLD CUP match yesterday.
Besides seeing old favorites such as Robin Van Persie and Dirk Kuyt, it was fun to see some of the country's younger generation of players -- Ibrahim Afellay and Eljero Elia.
Holland have always served as my "second team" during the major competitions.
This year, they'll be relegated to my third team, as I lend greater support to England at the U.S.
Something tells me I'll be cheering longer for the Dutch than the other two teams this time around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home