Monday, June 21, 2010

Freshies leader, Frank Sidebottom creator passes away

Not only did I miss watching the WORLD CUP matches because of today's JURY DUTY, but I also missed hearing about the passing of one of my musical heroes.
CHRIS SIEVEY, 54, died at home, recovering from cancer surgery. He is known to millions of Britons as the creator of FRANK SIDEBOTTOM, a bulbous-headed "pop star" who made numerous television, radio and live appearances.

I first heard Sievey in his previous incarnation, as the leader of Manchester band THE FRESHIES and their brilliant single, "I'm in Love With a Girl on a Certain Manchester Megastore Check-Out Desk" (it was originally titled "I'm in Love With the Girl on the Manchester Virgin Megastore Check-Out Desk").

Combining a sly dig at record labels turning down his band with one of the catchiest tunes I had ever heard, the song has been stuck in my head for decades. It's that good.

Click on the FOOTBALL AND MUSIC link on the right to read Webbie's tributes to Frank Sidebottom's football-related tunes.

It's a sad day for people who love music and love to laugh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Webbie - FootieAndMusic said...

Don't know of this Sievey you speak of... Never met him.
However in related - I've just posted some memories of me and Frank:
http://www.footballandmusic.co.uk/oh-blimey/

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home