Monday, June 28, 2010

Juror weighs in on ELO on "Great Irony Day"

I'm sitting here listening to the ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA this morning and wondering why I have been called to JURY DUTY for the second Monday in succession.
I've quit wondering why ELO are so disrespected in rock circles. I consider that rock snobbery of a particularly hypocritical kind.

You hear rock fans complaining that ELO are pretentious. Are they really any more pretentious than a guitarist who inserts a meandering, self serving solo into an otherwise perfectly good rock song? Are they any more pretentious than a heavy metal band creating a concept album? Are they any more pretentious than a lead singer who automatically thinks he or she can act?

I think most rock fans who slag off ELO without actually spending time listening to the band do so because they have been conditioned to view any form of classical music as the "serious" enemy. The fact is, ELO are not being too serious.

The name of the band is "Electric Light Orchestra," with the emphasis on the "light." In classical parlance, light orchestras are those that perform "pops" style and novelty pieces, rather than the high-brow stuff of the philharmonic and other orchestras. That's what JEFF LYNNE did with ELO -- he had fun with the rock and classical forms. Is that really all that pretentious?

Anyway, back to jury duty. The greatest of today's ironies is that a front-page story in the newspaper -- written by me -- is headlined:

"Have a jury summons? Follow these tips"

With the sub-headline (or as we call it in the biz, "C-deck") reading:

"Don't assume you won't be selected."

Yeah. I'm surprised I was called for the second week of a two-week term? Don't I read my own stuff?

Roll over Beethoven, and tell Tchaikovsky the news.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

I have trouble keeping up with groups and performers I'm not supposed to like. I didn't know I am not supposed to like ELO. And I remember the line in my favorite movie, "What About Bob?" Bill Murray's character, explaining his divorce, tells his shrink, "There are two types of people in this world: Those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't." I didn't know that I'm not supposed to like Neil Diamond. Could I get another copy of that memo?

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home