Saturday, January 16, 2010

Seventh heaven for a team I don't hate as much anymore

I covered a rally this morning, so I missed a rout.
While I scribbled notes at a Walk for Life event, Frank Lampard and Nicolas Anelka were scoring twice as CHELSEA defeated SUNDERLAND, 7-2, to remain one point above Manchester United in the PREMIER LEAGUE table with a game in hand.
I detested Chelsea at the beginning of the reign of the club's Russian billionaire owner, Roman Abramovich. Chelsea seemed to have purchased their way to the top, like the richest American sports teams, and their smug, then-manager JOSE MOURINHO always rubbed me the wrong way.
Now, Chelsea are no longer England's richest club -- Middle-Eastern money men have entered the frame -- and I genuinely miss Mourinho. The self-styled "Special One" at least added spice to the typically drab office of football club manager. He could hold his own in mind games perpetuated by other managers (Fergie), too.
Sitting in the HARWOOD ARMS in FULHAM a couple weeks back, I flicked through a Chelsea FA Cup programme and watched as replica shirt-wearing Chelsea supporters began filling the pub, renewing acquaintances while quaffing pre-match pints. I began to realize that my bitter animosity toward the Blues might be ebbing.
However, don't call me a Chelsea supporter yet. My lifelong affinity for the underdog -- for David against Goliath -- is too strong for that to happen.
I'll continue to hope against hope for the Owls and O's of the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home