Friday, January 08, 2010

Pilgrimmage to Memphis

They began arriving early in the morning at Gate 22 of Terminal 4 at HEATHROW.
They wore lanyards around their necks with identifying cards that read:

"ELVIS 75th."

ROUTE 1 editorial apprentice ANNIKA isn't the only person with a BIRTHDAY today. "The King" was also born on this date, and some of his British fans are celebrating by visiting Graceland, then Las Vegas.

I know, because my flight from LONDON to DETROIT this week included approximately 140 members of the ELVIS PRESLEY UK FAN CLUB on a pilgrimage to MEMPHIS.

Half the men sported "Elvis hairstyles." All the men I saw boasted numerous Elvis-themed tattoos as well. About half the women did as well, worryingly.

I sat next to a nice older geezer named Alexander Strachan during the 7 1/2-hour flight to the States. The resident of Peterhead, Scotland sported his fair share of tattoos and "E" and "P" earrings adorned his left ear lobe. He was old enough to be my dad and he was making his sixth trip to Graceland.

We chatted and I helped him fill out his USA entry card. I wish I could have bid him a proper farewell, but we lost track of each other in the ridiculously long wait to clear customs.

I'm sure he's having a grand old time of it today, though.

It's the King's day, isn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home