Monday, December 14, 2009

Bad news for Buju

I admit it: I'm like a CLASSIC ROCK SNOB when it comes to REGGAE -- very few current artists live up to my expectations, which have been built on the reputation of the musical gems of the 1960s-70s.
The 1995 album "'TIL SHILOH" by BUJU BANTON is an exception.

On it, Banton shrugged off a reputation for homophobic lyrics and sensationalism for a resolutely religious collection of songs.

That's what disappointed me most, when I learned Banton faces 20 years in an American jail, suspected of plotting to sell cocaine.

Federal Drug Enforcement Administration agents say Banton, 36, will be charged with conspiracy to possess more than 11 pounds of cocaine with intent to deliver.

Banton, whose real name is Mark Anthony Myrie, was arrested last week.

He made such a comeback with "'Til Shiloh." Now, his career appears in ruins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home