Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Extinction of the music geek in the Valley of the Sun

I guess it makes sense: I dreamed about my high school-era home of PHOENIX, ARIZ., on the eve of a predicted MAJOR SNOWSTORM.
I often dream about Phoenix when the weather gets cold here. I think it is my mind reminding itself that it left perpetual warm weather for IOWA.
What was unusual about the overnight dream was the setting in time. Although it looked like the Phoenix I knew, I walked into three RECORD STORES and discovered they were either closed or converted.
By converted, I mean there were computer stations where people could plug in their iPods and pay to download songs and albums. There were no compact discs on shelves, and I didn't even notice any sales staff.
Was this a vision of the future?
If so, think of the implications -- including no more geeky but knowledgeable record-store staff (as in "High Fidelity") and with no more CDs (let alone albums) no more need for detailed liner notes.
If that was a vision of the future, then the MUSIC GEEK could become an endangered species.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home