Monday, December 07, 2009

Let it snow -- I have The Clash

It feels ominously inevitable -- this waiting around for a BLIZZARD.
The forecast maps on television show the storm gathering strength and speed far to the west, with no other place to go than here.
I could have winced throughout the day, but I decided to listen to THE CLASH instead.
It's hard not singing along to the early singles. I love how the pop leanings of MICK JONES were wed to the strident politics of JOE STRUMMER.
In fact, the sound of The Clash is so familiar now, it's sometimes difficult to recall its true pioneering place in rock history.
"Like a punk Marquis Of Queensbury," the NME once wrote, "The Clash set the rules by which all indie/alt bands since have played by."
Even the songs I had forgotten are brilliant -- case in point: "Hate & War" off the self-titled debut.
Yeah, let it snow and let the winds blow their hardest. I've got The Clash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home