Friday, November 27, 2009

The Giants made history twice

I've been a SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS fan my whole life, and I'll be a Giants fan for the remainder of my life, too.
I thought I knew a lot about the franchise, but the pages of the book I am reading keep surprising me.

"WILLIE MAYS: THE LIFE, THE LEGEND" is an upcoming biography of the Giants' Hall of Famer by James S, Hirsch.

I have had plenty of time to read it -- the antibiotic I am on wipes me out, in more ways than one.

I'm glad I have the time, because Hirsch has written a wonderfully detailed book.

I learned that the Giants made major-league baseball history twice in 1951 -- Mays' rookie year and the season highlighted by "The Shot Heard 'Round The World."

On June 3, 1951, in a game against the Cardinals, HANK THOMPSON, MAYS and MONTE IRVIN were on base at the same time, marking the first time in big-league history that the bases were loaded with black ballplayers.

Later, in the World Series against the Yankees, that same trio became the Majors' first all-black outfield.

It might be a little step in the civil rights movement, but it makes me proud to be a Giants fan.

A fan for life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Glad you are out of the hospital and that you enjoying YOUR Willie Mays book (no loan involved). Perhaps you would write a review for the TH?

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home