Tuesday, November 17, 2009

How I let a patch of dry skin -- and my stubborn ways -- get the best of me

I spent a couple hours last night in a local emergency room, and several more hours this morning with my ACHING LEFT LEG propped up on a tower of pillows.
I should have seen a doctor a week ago (at least), but I didn't -- ironic, eh? I have written more than one story for the newspaper about the problem of men avoiding the doctor, then I put off going to the doctor until a patch of dry skin had developed into a case of CELLULITIS -- an infection of the skin and the tissue beneath it.
Here is how it all happened...
About two weeks ago, probably with the advent of colder weather and drier humidity levels, the seemingly permanent patch of dry skin beneath my left knee began to itch like never before.
I should have done something else, but instead I scratched it.
I kept scratching it. Sometimes I would scratch and I would have blood on my hand.
I should have done something else, but instead I told myself I could control my urge to scratch.
I couldn't, and the surrounding skin became progressively redder.
I should have done something else, but instead I told myself it was just the dry air. I applied moisturizer.
With hindsight, I see that was another of my contributions to the infection. Bacteria needs moisture to grow, and I kept rubbing in moisturizer -- even when the now scabbed portion of my leg began to burn. My leg felt like it was on fire and it would take me ages to get to sleep, but I kept my mouth shut.
I didn't want to bother anyone -- my mom and step-dad were visiting, after all -- so I kept quiet.
I should have done something else, but instead I told myself it would get better on its own.
Finally, my body told me enough was enough: My left foot had swollen to twice the size of the right.
"Should I be worried," I said to my mom and my wife Jill last night.
I guess. They used something called common sense and drove me to the emergency room.
So... Now I keep my leg elevated while feeling like a fool and popping massive ANTIBIOTIC PILLS.
Please use this experience as a CAUTIONARY TALE. The moral? Don't wait until too late to visit the doctor when you *know* something is wrong. You're not bothering anybody except for yourself.
Please do as I say, and not as I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home