Friday, November 13, 2009

Plans for the holidays

ROUTE 1 jolly well knows what it will be doing for the holidays (if you catch the drift).
Readers reveal what's on their calendars by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:

"What are your holiday plans?"

STEVE M. -- Maybe four or five days in St. Pete, Fla., to visit the in laws, and then another few days near San Diego to visit my side. I shudder to think of the air fares.

BEKAH P. -- Wish my answer were more festive this year. Doctors diagnosed my beloved Grandpa with cancer, and this set of holidays will be his last. So, I plan on spending every moment I can enjoying his company. Though inexplicably sad, the situation reminds me of just how much loved ones truly mean, especially around the holidays.

MARY N.-P. -- Hold on to your seats because you might get carried away with excitement after reading our plans!

We'll spend Christmas day itself with my Mom at her nursing home, then head out early the next morning driving to South Dakota to spend time with my husband's elderly parents -- one is blind and the other diabetic -- and the rest of his family.
But I am excited about the idea we came up with for presents this year. Since I finally learned how to bake these lovely loaves of organic artisan bread, we're going to give a loaf of bread with little jars of my homemade jams!
JEFF T. -- A Ho-Ho-Whole lot of Thompson Family Christmas Hi-Jinks... and a trip to Arkansas!

INGER H. -- A quiet little Christmas at home followed by a spectacular, no-holds-barred, over the top birthday and new years visit to London with my brother to celebrate turning 40! Highlights include: fancy birthday dinner at Corrigan's Mayfair, a football match, a pantomime show, a flight on the London Eye on NYE and as many pub and museum and shopping stops we can fit in between!

KERI M. -- To stay at home and work as much as I can.
RICK T. -- Some good food and some TV or a movie. Gonna do some real good ME time with the wife.
ANNIKA H. -- Going to Gaby's. Yaaaaa!

MIKE M. -- I'm entertaining my brother-in-law who supposedly has "nowhere else to go."

JOHN S. -- Every Thanksgiving I do my best to remind everyone that the Spanish were here 200 years before the "pilgrims" and had two centuries of "thanksgiving feasts" with natives before Jamestown was established. I do it because I think Thanksgiving would be a lot less stressful if everyone just made tacos and nachos and drank margaritas!

STACEY B. -- I plan to spend the holidays with the craziness that is my family. After we eat a ton of super unhealthy food, we'll play a couple rounds of Phase 10 and my Grandma will create new rules for the card game so she can win. It's a family tradition.

ERIK H. -- After spending Christmas in Iowa, I'm jetting off to Blighty to spend the New Year ringing in my sister's birthday. That's what I tell people. I am really scouting locations for when I get back, and I successfully convince the family we should move to the United Kingdom. "Think of it," I'll tell them, "It will be so much easier to watch soccer... oh, and Robert Pattinson lives there." I think I might have one vote already, eh Kerstin?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home