Thursday, November 19, 2009

A get-well message from Slovenia

You can see the extent of INFECTED TISSUE ON MY LEFT LEG: It begins about mid-thigh and travels down to my ankle -- with something approximating bad horror-movie makeup festering just below my knee.
It alternately throbs, burns and itches. I was told to let air get to it while propping it up, but that just adds cold air to an already dismal mix.

That's why I so appreciated a message from JOE HEITZ, a friend of mine living in SLOVENIA for a year:

"Hi Erik -- Slovenia just beat Russia, and my neighborhood in Ljubljana is wild right now! People are shouting in the streets, cars are honking, there are firecrackers going off... (Hope you're feeling better...)"

I did feel better after reading Joe's message.

I watched Slovenia's historic, 1-0 World Cup qualifying playoff victory over RUSSIA yesterday on television while exiled on the couch, tired of listening to music (?!?!) and with my eyes no longer willing to read. The win, in the country’s second largest city Maribor, earned the Slovenes a spot in South Africa on the away goals rule, after a 2-2 aggregate draw.

As I tried not to scratch my leg, downed my TRIMETHOPRIM tablets (I looked it up: The drug starves bacteria to death), and worried about lasting damage to my leg, I was at least comforted knowing the residents of a tiny country unfamiliar to many people were partying on into the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home