Sunday, November 22, 2009

Vahirua won't cure me

ASSOCIATION SPORTIVE DE SAINT-ÉTIENNE reigned supreme in France when I was a kid, just learning about European soccer.
"LES VERTS," as the green-clad club is known, won 10 LIGUE 1 titles between 1967-81. Their peak came with a trio of titles -- 1974-76 -- when I was about 10 years old and soaking up soccer knowledge.

Imagine my delight, then, to see Saint-Étienne hosting FC LORIENT in a live match on SETANTA SPORTS today.

Yeah. Not so much.
If I was hoping watching Les Verts could soothe my LEG INFECTION, then MARAMA VAHIRUA (pictured) proved me wrong.
The 29-year-old opened the scoring with a fourth-minute free kick and was influential throughout as Lorient won, 2-0.

Vahirua is a Tahitian soccer player and a France U-21 international.

Based on how he looked against Les Verts (and given the fact that his goals have helped unfashionable Lorient to fourth in the table), perhaps senior France coach Raymond Domenech should give the islander a chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home