Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Middle school yearbook: All of the future celebrities... and me

A lot can happen in 30 years.
I recently thumbed through my eighth-grade YEARBOOK from OAK GROVE MIDDLE SCHOOL in CONCORD, CALIF., and used FACEBOOK, GOOGLE and some other Web sites to track down some of my forgotten classmates.
Perhaps predictably, *Erik Hogstrom* appears to have become the forgotten classmate.
Everybody else is famous.
Matt Chessé, the smiling kid on Page 13? Yeah, he's now an Oscar-nominated film editor.
His films include "Monster's Ball," "Finding Neverland" and "The Kite Runner."
Chessé didn't sign my yearbook 30 years ago.
Rick Winer signed my yearbook. He was the kid who looked a little mischievous on Page 20.
"It's nice having someone like you around, because you make me look better," he wrote.
What's he doing now?
He's Rabbi Rick Winer at Congregation Beth Emek Synagogue in Pleasanton, Calif.
Winer has extensively traveled the world, according to his Web site (find it here).
I'm sure the remainder of the people in the yearbook grew up to become doctors and lawyers, or astronauts or football stars or presidents.
That rather frightened-looking, red-haired kid with the freckles on Page 15?
Yeah, that's me -- an IRONICALLY UNHEALTHY HEALTH REPORTER and OBSCURE BLOGGER.
It's still early, though. I might yet make a name for myself in the next 30 years.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So, every so often I type my name into Google to find out what I've been up to and here I find myself on your blog... "mischievous" yeah, a bit... but I do remember you and it's great to see you out there in the electronic world.
Hope life is good.
Your old mischievous friend,
Rick Winer

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home