Friday, December 11, 2009

Winter prompts memories, even though it hasn't officially begun!

We don't know about where you live, but winter seems to have been here forever -- even though the season doesn't officially begin for another 10 days.
ROUTE 1 readers recall winter past by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION:

"What is your most vivid winter memory?"

JIM S. -- Driving through Yellowstone Park on the second day it was open one day as winter was nearing its end in the early 1980s. There was still snow drifts on the side of the road higher than my car at some points. Signs warned of snow avalanches. During the entire 90-minute or more drive, I encountered two other cars. It was an awesome experience. I was on my way to a newspaper interview from Gillette, Wyo. to Idaho Falls, Idaho.

MARY N.-P. -- Cross-country skiing with my whole family on my brother's ranch in the Colorado mountains. We took our aging parents around on snowmobiles while the rest of us skied down hills, through timber and along creek beds behind them. As usual in Colorado (where I lived many years), although there was snow, the weather was mild and beautiful. I will never happen again as various family members are now dead, damaged or too old (like me) to do that again...

RICK T. -- Making snowmen in the heavy snow, when I was a kid. Long time ago!

KERSTIN H. -- I hate the snow, so my most vivid memory is begging to move to a warmer place!

KERI M. -- The blizzard of 2007, of course. And Christmas, of course.

ANNIKA H. -- Skating on the ice in the field at Marshall.

MIKE D. -- Growing up with Bunker Hill Golf Course as our back yard, we did plenty of sledding (we called it sleigh-riding), tobogganing and tubing. We created ramps for getting maximum air time and tried to outdo each other for the best wipe-out. Another favorite memory was shoveling out a huge maze of paths on the 6th fairway, then playing tag in the labyrinth.

ERIK H. -- My sister visited us in Oregon one year. We traveled to a lake to look for wildlife and we found some: We spied a deer chasing a fox across the iced-over lake.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home