Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rockin' Rod sparks the day's song choice

ROD STEWART turned 65 over the weekend, so I listened to the marvelous FACES while driving around yesterday.
I love so many of the band's songs, but yesterday it was "Sweet Lady Mary" from the album "Long Player" that had me singing along.

"Sweet Lady Mary has to rest her poor head. Wakes in the morning with her breakfast in bed. I tried to help her but I did not know how. I tried to love her but it's all over now."

Stewart made some questionable career choices later in his career, but he was right among the best rock vocalists at his peak.

"Over the stones along the dusty old road. With every footstep one more tale is told. With every turning one more side to see. Sweet Lady Mary's seen the last of me."

I'm one of those rock fans who bemoans The Faces not getting their just recognition. We rarely hear their songs on the radio, and the tune people seem to know from films and television -- "Ooh La La" -- was sung by RON WOOD, not Stewart or second vocalist (the underrated) RONNIE LANE.

The Faces are so good, I'll probably listen to them today as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home