Saturday, January 09, 2010

"And it ain't me who's gonna leave"

I think I am in denial.
I refuse to believe I have left LONDON.

What did I watch on television today? ARSENAL and EVERTON playing to a 2-2 draw at the Emirates... in London.

What did I read today? "THE GLORY GAME," the pioneering football book by HUNTER DAVIES... a book about a club from London...

What did I listen to on the radio today? GARY CROWLEY interviewing RON AND RUSSELL MAEL of SPARKS on BBC LONDON 94.9 online... a radio station from -- well, you get the general drift, don't you?

If it is indeed denial (and most assuredly, it is), at least I am deluding myself with pure class.

The Mael brothers were absolutely delightful, speaking on the radio. They remain genuinely surprised that their hit "THIS TOWN AIN'T BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BOTH OF US" helped cement their position as legends in the United Kingdom -- and prophets with very little honor at home.

The Southern California natives have never been easy to classify, and they did not exactly fit the mold of early 1970s glam rock in Britain.

You can tell, I think, because their quirky tunes have aged exceeding well.

But, what do I know? I am apparently living under the delusion that I can walk out my door, turn a corner and hop on the tube.

Cor blimey... I am definitely in denial.

1 Comments:

Blogger inger said...

I'm with ya brotha: I'm the one that went to a grocery store today specifically to procure: London Pride beer, some HP sauce and yeah, a treacle pudding.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home