Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Mas, Que Nada" only does so much

A few years ago, ROUTE 1 reader Steve M. from Virginia sent me a pair of CDs devoted to Brazilian music, including plenty of TROPICALIA by GILBERTO GIL, CAETANO VELOSO and JORGE BEN JOR (pictured, resplendent in the colors of Clube de Regatas do Flamengo).
I have been listening to this wonderful music for the past two days, trying to infuse a little artificial WARMTH into a life gripped by winter's bitter cold.
I am afraid I can only report limited success with this experiment.
There is no problem with the sunny, bubbly music -- it performs exactly as advertised.
I am afraid the warming music faces too great an adversary with this cold spell we're experiencing.
It was minus-2 Fahrenheit in Dubuque at 11 a.m. yesterday. It "warmed up" to 0 by noon and by the time I went home from work it was still merely 3 above.
Actually, things were not much better in the office, where renovation work has resulted in a steady stream of cold air pouring into my temporary workspace.
Some coworkers draped themselves in their winter coats while sitting at their desks.
I plan on wearing a sweater today.
So, to recap:
BRAZILIAN MUSIC -- not so good at warming, but a highly effective soundtrack for a complaining rant about inappropriate indoor air-conditioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home