Sunday, November 25, 2007

There I was this morning, chopping onions, listening to Rod Stewart and feeling sorry for myself

Let's put it this way:
The last time MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS had been shutout, neither of yesterday's two emergency quarterbacks had been born.
UCLA's 16-0 win over the Ducks raised a number of questions, including: Will there be any Oregon players remaining when the team plays Oregon State in the CIVIL WAR?
The team lost second-string QB Brady Leaf to a first-quarter foot injury last night. Neither freshman quarterback -- Cody Kempt nor Justin Roper -- could move the ball. It didn't help that injuries left the Ducks with three healthy wide receivers and only a third-string running back.
All of this ran through my head this morning, as I chopped onions for a big pot of chili.
I thought about ENGLAND, too. A 3-2 loss to Croatia meant England miss out on EURO 2008 -- the first major finals they will have missed since the 1994 World Cup finals.
My favorite sports left me down in the dumps this morning, so I dialed in some vintage ROD STEWART on the iPod.
My favorite Stewart songs are the hard-rocking numbers he performed with The Faces. Otherwise, I love "Mandolin Wind" and "Maggie May" and the other songs he released early in his solo career. Once he got around to singing "You're in My Heart" and "Hot Legs," well, that was enough of that for me.
So, this morning I listened to Stewart and chopped onions, browned hamburger and Italian sausage and crafted a big pot of chili while trying not to think about MY BELOVED DUCKS.
Well, I did allow myself to think about the men's basketball team. Maarty Leunen scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds last night as the Ducks beat visiting San Francisco, 110-79. So it's not all bad in Eugene.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

I think you should come clean. There were no onions involved. Those tears were purely the result of the sudden bad turn in the Ducks' fortunes.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home