Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"A perfect 3 a.m. record," three hours later

It was one of those nights when nobody slept particularly well.
One kid coughed so much she tried sleeping downstairs on the couch. The other kid -- the covers thieving one -- crawled into our bed after an overnight round of nightmares.
The end result was a tossing and turning experience that prompted me to get up far earlier than usual.
By 6 a.m., I was perusing the GUARDIAN Web site. The British newspaper is about halfway through compiling a list of 1000 "must-hear" albums.
Under "M" the editors listed an album I have not heard in years: Mazzy Star's 1993 release "So Tonight That I Might See."
Here is what the Guardian said about it:
"Mazzy Star's opiated fusion of blues, folk and country was best realized on this, the second of their three albums. It's a perfect 3 a.m. record: The melodies here are drowsier then on their debut, while Hope Sandoval's voice is entrancing. The album even provided the band with an alternative hit, courtesy of 'Fade Into You.'"
Since I was the only one awake -- bar the cats, of course -- I decided to give "So Tonight That I Might See" a spin, to remind myself what all the fuss was about.
I should have said: "to remind myself what all the FUZZ was about." Guitarist David Roback uses all manner of fuzzy melodies on "So Tonight That I Might See." The album sometimes sounds like a slow-motion SONIC YOUTH playing through a heavy veil of gauze.
I am old enough (I am afraid) to remember Roback with RAIN PARADE, one of the great "Paisley Underground" bands from Los Angeles back in the 1980s. He is one of America's great, underrated music-makers.
I probably should have dug through my CD collection for "So Tonight That I Might See" a lot earlier. As it happened, I have various sleep problems to thank for allowing me to rediscover this gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home