Monday, November 12, 2007

Drool Britannia

The last time I made a RIDICULOUSLY LONG playlist for my iPod was way back in... October... 2007.
OK. So, it was only last month. I made a 73-song Led Zeppelin playlist that clocks in at nearly six-and-a-half hours. Wow.
Have no fear: I have a new ABSOLUTELY SPRAWLING playlist for November.
Rhino Records will release a 78-song box set devoted to UK indie, shoegazing and Brit-pop bands later this month. They call it "The Brit Box."
Suitably inspired, I decided to craft a similar aural document for Kerstin and Annika: A compilation of rock and pop from the British Isles (Ireland included) released during their lifetimes.
It's up to 90 songs (only one song per artist), and so far I am calling it "90 since 95."
Kerstin was born in 1995, so I started then, with "Wake Up Boo" by The Boo Radleys (March 1995, No. 9 on the UK singles chart).
From that point, the playlist features an A (Arctic Monkeys) to Z (The Zutons) of British popular music during the past 12 years.
All but 15 songs came from CDs in our collection. I purchased the rest with an iTunes card.
During the course of the 90 tunes, I mixed straight-ahead rock (Ocean Colour Scene) with catchy pop (B*Witched) and R&B (Ms. Dynamite) with electronica (Mylo), all in chronological order. The playlist concludes with "Let's Dance to Joy Division" by The Wombats, which was released last month.
Most of the songs hit the top 40, but a few didn't chart so high but landed on the list because they are representative of styles or a spirit of adventure ("A Minha Menina" by The Bees).
The playlist offers more than six hours of music, and so far I have only listened to segments.
Actually, by the time I finish listening, I will probably move on to my next PLAYLIST OPUS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home