Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Fake blood and "The Bellshill Beach Boys"

While driving to a couple interviews today my mind has wandered into the past, thanks in part to the music I've been playing.
I am listening to "Bandwagonesque" by the Scottish band Teenage Fanclub.
The music of "The Bellshill Beach Boys" always puts me in a nostalgic mood, because I remember playing a battered cassette of "Bandwagonesque" to the point of unusable destruction. That shows you the merits of this 1991 album.
The music also seems so timeless.
Today my nostalgia brought me back to Halloween nights when I was a kid in Concord, Calif.
Now, authorities have only allotted a two-hour window for trick-or-treating. Back when I was a kid (oh, oh, here we go), we grabbed pillowcases for candy and didn't come back home until our legs gave out.
We wore fancy costumes occasionally, but it was just as easy to put on a bunch of ill-fitting old clothes and dab yourself with fake "Vampire blood."
Halloween seemed so simple back then. I wonder if it seems simple to my kids, what with the addition of officially sanctioned trick-or-treat hours and elaborate, store-bought costumes of television characters and the like?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home