Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"My warehouse eyes, my Arabian drums"

"Should I leave them by your gate? Or sad-eyed lady, should I wait?"
I have spent my final of SIX DAYS OFF constructing one of those RIDICULOUSLY LONG playlists that I often cram onto my poor, cramped iPod.
This one is a BOB DYLAN playlist of 65 songs and clocking in at five hours and five minutes.
I called it "Dylanmania," because after watching "No Direction Home" I feel as if a mania has swept over me.
I based the playlist on MOJO Magazine's list of 100 GREATEST DYLAN SONGS, as compiled by musicians and music journalists.
I fallen madly in love with the second song on the list and the second song on my playlist:
"SAD-EYED LADY OF THE LOWLANDS."
Although I love the lyrics and the music, I especially love the fact that Dylan never told the backing band when to quit playing!
Drummer Kenny Buttrey explains:
"He ran down a verse and a chorus and he just quit and said, 'We'll do a verse and then a chorus and then I'll play my harmonica thing. Then we'll do another verse and chorus and we'll play some more harmonica and see how it goes from there.'...Not knowing how long this thing was going to be, we were preparing ourselves dramatically for a basic two to three minute record, because records just didn't go over three minutes... If you notice that record, that thing after like the second chorus starts building and building like crazy, and everybody's just peaking it up 'cause we thought, Man this is it. this is going to be the last chorus and we've got to put everything into it we can... After about ten minutes of this thing we're cracking up at each other, at what we were doing. I mean, we peaked five minutes ago. Where do we go from here?"