Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A real gem of a song

When Kerstin and I grabbed our iPods and left the house for our early morning walk today, I clicked on "Led Zeppelin III" and "Immigrant Song" helped me keep up the necessary pace.
Tonight, after a busy, day-before-vacation eight hours at work, I relaxed while listening to the mandolin and acoustic guitar showcase that is "That's The Way."
If you only knew Led Zeppelin's work from listening to classic rock radio, you would probably miss out on "That's The Way," which is possibly the most pastoral song in the band's catalog.
Jimmy Page and Robert Plant wrote the song in 1970, during their extended songwriting break at Bron-Yr-Aur cottage in Wales.
As opposed to "Immigrant Song's" breakneck lines about "the land of the ice and snow," "That's The Way" tells a sad song of loss:
"I don't know how I'm gonna tell you, I can't play with you no more. I don't know how I'm gonna do what mama told me, my friend the boy next door."
Stressing the song's beauty, the All Music Guide says "Led Zeppelin skeptics could conceivably start here."
A song for skeptics or not, "That's The Way" is a real gem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home