Sunday, October 14, 2007

Klaatu Barada Nikto!

Last night I introduced the girls to "The Day The Earth Stood Still," surely one of the best films of the 1950s.
The girls are by no means science fiction buffs, but Robert Wise's 1951 feature is more about humanity than spacemen and they related space visitor Klaatu's concerns about widening conflict to our present situation in the world.
"I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason," Klaatu says in one of the film's many memorable lines.
Kerstin:
"I wonder if the president ever saw that movie? I highly doubt it."
Kerstin and Annika watched in rapt attention as Klaatu brings all power on Earth to a shuddering stop to prove his point of the importance of his message. All power, that is, except for hospitals and planes in flight, the girls reminded me.
The girls also enjoyed the irony of young Bobby Benson showing "Mr. Carpenter" (Klaatu) the spacecraft on the mall.
The only aspect of the film where the girls and I differed was on the score.
I have long considered Bernard Herrmann a genius ("Citizen Kane," "Psycho" and "Taxi Driver," to name but three classics), and he scored "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with pianos, harps, electrical organs, a large brass section (including four tubas) and -- crucially -- a pair of theremins.
I loved the "other worldly" aspect of the theremins -- basically two pitch and one volume radio frequency oscillators with a pair of metal antennas. Running your hand around the antennas changes the frequency and volume, creating the eerie music.
Well, the music of the theremin was too eerie for Annika: She had me turn down the volume on the TV whenever the volume of the theremin became too great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home