Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Like a cool glass of water

I have been reading so much about Jimmy Page lately -- in Keith Shadwick's excellent "Led Zeppelin 1968-1980: The Story of a Band and Their Music" -- that I almost forgot about GRANT GREEN.
Almost.
Thank goodness I remembered Green when I arrived home after a long and stressful day at work.
I put on the "Grantstand" album from 1961 and settled in to the song "Blues in Maude's Flat."
After remarkable solos by tenor saxophonist Yusef Lateef and organist Brother Jack McDuff, Green plays a typically sublime solo.
Nat Hentoff wrote:
"Grant's thoroughly uncluttered thematic improvisations appear deceptively simple but represent a postgraduate skill in spacing and selection of notes while keeping rhythmic substructure from sagging."
Yeah.
After a long hard day at work, Grant's improvisations had an effect like a tall cool glass of water for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home