Monday, October 08, 2007

If you listen closely, you can hear the chairs fall over

Kerstin and I grabbed iPods and walked up one side of our street and down the other this morning. Only the garbage collectors, the paper boys and the fellow walkers were out at that early hour.
I listened to FAIRPORT CONVENTION as I walked. I paid particularly close attention to "Si Tu Dois Partir," the band's famous French Cajun approximation of Bob Dylan's "If You Gotta Go, Go Now."
Legend has it that the band used a pile of canvas chairs as "drums" during the catchy song, that reached No. 21 in July 1969 -- the biggest "hit" of a band that would influence hundreds of similar folk-rock collectives.
I listened closely to the track as we walked, because legend also has it that the pile of canvas chairs collapses in a heap toward the song's conclusion.
Sure enough, about three-fourths of the way into the track you hear a loud clattering sound. It must be the chairs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home