Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I said we're only trying to get us some peace"

Merseyside wasn't the center of your universe today?
It sure seemed to be at the center of mine.
This morning, I sipped coffee and ate marmalade on toast while enjoying the 206th Merseyside derby.
Dirk Kuyt's second penalty -- in stoppage time -- lifted visiting LIVERPOOL to a 2-1 victory at EVERTON. The home side had two men sent off in an action-packed match.
Later, I compiled an iTunes playlist that replicates the first BEATLES album I remember hearing.
My late, jazz-adoring dad owned a copy of a rather strange compilation from 1970. The album was titled "Hey Jude" on the spine of the cover, but was titled "The Beatles Again" on the label.
Side one included "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Should Have Known Better" from "A Hard Day's Night." Then the compilation skipped ahead a couple years to include the 1966 classics "Paperback Writer" and "Rain." "Lady Madonna" and "Revolution" rounded out side one.
Side two opened with "Hey Jude," in all its seven-plus minutes of glory. "Old Brown Shoe," "Don't Let Me Down" and "The Ballad of John & Yoko" closed out the album.
It seems rather cobbled together, but in reality the track list did a great job of introducing me to one of the central ideas of The Beatles: That songs of increasing complexity can still be catchy as hell.
"Hey Jude/The Beatles Again" was one of my most-cherished albums that I inherited from my dad.
Oh, and I forgot to mention: Liverpool's Jamie Carragher seemed to drag Everton's Joleon Lescott to the ground
in the penalty area during the dying seconds of the Merseyside derby, but the referee waved play on and the home side felt much aggrieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home