Friday, October 19, 2007

Happy Birthday, high school!

I have a few days off work, and I sure wish I could have flown down to Phoenix, Ariz.
My alma mater turns 50 years old this year, and CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL celebrates in style tonight.
Campus tours and receptions will preface tonight's homecoming football game against Mesa High School.
Central's Bobcats have struggled a bit this season, going 1-6, and most of the Valley of the Sun's focus will be on the traditional rivalry game between St. Mary's and Brophy.
Still, seeing the red-and-grey of Central in action once again would have been so fun.
After the game, anniversary celebrants are scheduled to gather at Alice Cooperstown, local rocker Alice Cooper's downtown sports bar/restaurant.
I wish I could be there.
I have many fond memories of Central High School.
ON A SAD NOTE:
I have just learned of the death of LUCKY DUBE.
The South African reggae legend was killed by apparent carjackers in the Johannesburg suburb of Rosettenville. He was 43.
I listened to his song "House of Exile" when I heard of his death this morning. Dube served as a powerful social force -- much like Bob Marley -- for South Africans struggling against apartheid and then struggling to overcome the economic inequities triggered by that evil regime. His music was great, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home