Saturday, October 27, 2007

Don't worry about me -- I'm listening to Aztec Camera

I must work a relatively rare Saturday shift, but it's not all bad: I am listening to the debut album (1983) from AZTEC CAMERA.
"High Land Hard Rain" has always been among my favorites. It seemed delightfully out of step upon its arrival, because while everyone else was fiddling with synthesizers, Aztec Camera's Roddy Frame was happily strumming his acoustic guitar.
Here is what rock critic Robert Christgau says about the album, obviously after significantly mulling it over:
"At first I did the obvious thing and pigeonholed this as high-grade pop--richer and truer than Haircut 100 or even the dB's or the Bongos and ultimately feckless anyhow. Now I think it's more like U2 with songs (which is all U2 needs). For sheer composition--not just good tunes, but good tunes that swoop and chime and give you goosebumps--Roddy Frame's only current competition is Marshall Crenshaw, and unlike Crenshaw he never makes you smell retro. His wordcraft is worthy of someone who admires Keats, his wordplay worthy of someone admired by Elvis C.; he sings and arranges with a rousing lyricism that melds militance and the love of life."
Amen!
Now, if only MY BELOVED OREGON DUCKS could play with "rousing lyricism" and "militance" against the USC Trojans this afternoon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home