Friday, November 02, 2007

"What?!" "I said: How was the gig?" "I can't hear you, I have been to a VERY LOUD gig!"

This week, ROUTE 1 readers remove the protective earplugs to answer the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What was the loudest concert you have attended?"
Jim S. -- Van Halen, about 30 years ago. I never realized how much those guys screamed until we walked out of that concert at the Coliseum in Madison.
Brian C. -- I am not a frequent concert-goer, but the loudest I experienced was Paul McCartney, October 2005, Omaha.
Lisa Y. -- Metallica. Several times. Good stuff, back in the day.
Scout S. -- I used to go see Magnapop at the 40 Watt Club in Athens, Ga., and they were earbleedingly loud. And also awesome.
Mike D. -- There's a reason Motley Crue has a song titled "Louder than Hell." They demonstrated it during a 1980s appearance at the Five Seasons Center in Cedar Rapids. Even more so than the music, the blasts of pyrotechnics were deafening.

Rick T. -- Country Music Festival (a.k.a. Fan Fair) in Nashville, Tenn.
Mike M. -- Does the person who attended the loudest concert get a prize? I saw Metallica with The Cult at the Civic Center in Savannah, Ga., on Feb. 27, 1989. The concert hall was so small and the music so loud that I was literally blown away.
Dave B. -- Depeche Mode. 1988. When you have your ear to the two-story tall speaker system, it tends to get very loud.
Erik H. -- The child of divorced parents, I was a "little" in the "Big Brothers Big Sisters" program while growing up in Concord, Calif. On May 29, 1978, my "big brother" brought me along to a concert at the Concord Pavilion. I was 12 years old.
The gig posters probably read "JOURNEY" in big letters and "Ronnie Montrose" in very small letters, and about 98 percent of the crowd was in attendance just to see the headliners. Not my "big." He was one of those guitar-magazine-reading guitar obsessives. They're the type of people who routinely speak knowledgeably about "high gain" and "pre-amp distortion voicing" and "gated reverb." My "big" was there to see Montrose -- a player who throughout his career has been lavishly praised and reverentially admired as a "guitarist's guitarist" by those who play the instrument themselves.
The volume at the concert sure seemed ear-splitting to me, but as the ringing in my ears began to subside, my own appreciation of Montrose began to grow. Thanks to my "big brother" (who drifted out of my life shortly thereafter) and my temporary bout of deafness, I now consider Montrose to be the greatest guitar player I have heard in person, and one of the greatest on record, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home