Sunday, November 04, 2007

Despite all my rage I am still just a reporter covering a bridal fashion show

I was doing OK, covering the bridal fashion show for the newspaper, until they started playing the tape of Rod Stewart attempting to croon his way through 1940s pop standards.
Sorry Rod. I bristled.
I will always remember Rod for stuff like "Mandolin Wind" and "Gasoline Alley" and all of the excellent stuff with THE FACES. I cannot bear to hear Rod sing "It Had to be You."
Surrounded by anxiety driven brides to be, and now straining against the horrifically bland Rod Stewart songs, I began to PANIC.
I was sweating. I felt dizzy. I...
... grabbed my iPod and immediately listened to some SMASHING PUMPKINS songs.
It has always made me laugh, how some of the holier-than-thou INDIE ROCKERS would dis Billy Corgan and his band. Someone once called Smashing Pumpkins the "grunge Monkees" and PAVEMENT (a band I adore) famously insulted them in "Range Life."
All the haters missed the point, methinks.
SMASHING PUMPKINS were never intended to be anything other than a hard rock band -- albeit one re-imagined for the 1990s. One listen to "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" should convince anyone that Corgan drew inspiration more from Led Zeppelin than the Sex Pistols, The Cure or The Fall.
All that indie hate was misplaced, methinks.
Anyhow, I didn't care this afternoon. After hearing a few Smashing Pumpkins songs, I put away the iPod and could live through the remainder of the Bridal Fashion show.
Without the iPod or those Smashing Pumpkins songs?
It would have been a very different, very tragic story, methinks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Are you going to put in for combat pay for that assignment? I'm sure that your caring editor will consent ...

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home