Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sorry Scotland -- I tried so hard to help

Poor Scotland!
I tried my hardest to give Scotland a boost before their big match with Italy today.
A win at rainy Hampden Park would have sent the Scots into the EURO 2008 finals, so before I went to work I tried to incorporate as many Scottish things as possible into my morning routine. I ate ORANGE MARMALADE on toast, listened to the COCTEAU TWINS and read about DANNY WILSON (pictured).
For years after first hearing the classic 1988 single "Mary's Prayer," I assumed "Danny Wilson" was a singer. I thought there was another famous bloke named "Danny Wilson," besides the not-very-successful manager of the team I adore, SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY.
Alas, I eventually learnt I was so wrong.
"Danny Wilson" is a band, not a bloke!
Dundee residents Gary Clark and his brother Kit joined Ged Grimes to form the band in the 1980s. The trio named themselves after a 1952 film, "Meet Danny Wilson." They had originally called themselves "Spencer Tracy," but ran into some legal obstacles with that name.
No matter the name, their effort "Mary's Prayer" remains one of the most beautiful songs of the 1980s.
Too bad my efforts couldn't help Scotland.
The Scots gave up a controversial, last-minute goal to Christian Panucci and lost the Azzurri, 2-1.
Alan Hutton of Rangers was bundled over deep in the Scottish half, but the referee astoundingly gave the free kick to Italy. Shame on you, ref.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home